Tampa Bless presents Team Do Good's next featured member and honoree: Alicia Goodwin
Updated: Feb 16, 2021
It is with pride and joy I present to you the next member of Team Do Good, the mighty Alicia Goodwin. I am absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to celebrate Alicia here via Tampa Bless and Team Do Good. Her willingness to participate in this feature and to provide feedback is highly appreciated. And now, without further ado...
Name: Alicia Goodwin
Place of birth: Havana, Cuba
(I came to the USA from Cuba as a refugee at the age of 10 with my two siblings but without my parents through the “Pedro Pan” Catholic program fleeing from the Castro Communist regime, and in my early twenties I became a naturalized American citizen)
Currently reside: Belleair, FL
Heritage: Spain & Cuba (My father came from Spain and my mother from Cuba)
Family: Married 38 years to my husband, Lee Goodwin. We raised 3 wonderful children and now have 4 beautiful grandchildren.
Alma Mater: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton (Bachelor of Arts in French and Languages & Linguistics), University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas (Master of Arts in Theology), Cenacle of Our Lady of Divine Providence School of Spiritual Direction (Certified Spiritual Direction).
Occupation: Full-time ministry (Retired from a 25+ years business management career in the technology industry): I serve as President of Our Lady of Divine Providence House of Prayer in Clearwater and Director of the Marian Servants of Divine Providence, a Public Association of the Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg. The Marian Servants is a community of Catholic men and women dedicated to guiding God’s people to healing, freedom, and purpose in Christ.
Activities you organized or participate in related to helping others and uplifting humanity? I realize this is an uncomfortable question to answer because it feels self-promotional, yet it's important to share so to inspire others:
Serving as the director of the Marian Servants has given me the opportunity to bring the healing touch of Jesus to so many who stream through the doors of the House of Prayer and Retreat Center seeking healing in body, mind, and spirit. I have the awesome privilege of watching God in action healing, restoring, and transforming lives. Relying on the Holy Spirit, myself and our dedicated community members regularly provide private retreats, individual spiritual direction, and healing prayer striving to bring God’s people into a greater freedom of their identity in Christ which allows them to be God’s instruments in the world.
Also at the House of Prayer, we organize and host one-day conferences and healing events throughout the year with nationally known speakers such as Fr. Richard McAlear, Neal Lozano, Sister Briege McKenna, and Ralph Martin. At the Cenacle School of Spiritual Direction, students come from all parts of the USA and other countries to be trained as spiritual directors and they themselves are healed, transformed, and equipped to guide people to a deep encounter with the Lord. Through those we train and the many people that are healed and set on fire for the Lord, we pray our ministry has a ripple effect to bless others and transform our society and culture.
The Tampa Bless 12
1) Favorite pastime or hobby? Why? Please explain.
Attending music concerts with my husband. We both enjoy a variety of music genres and our concert dates allow us to relax together and be uplifted by the performances.
2) Favorite sport, team, or player? If not into sports, your favorite musician or album? Or answer one of each if you’d like or any combo. Please explain why for any one or more of the questions you answered.
Tom Brady is my favorite athlete. I’m amazed at his athleticism and skill and resilience and endurance under pressure. I also admire the way he has overcome adversity in his public life.
3) Favorite movie? Why? Please explain.
A Man For All Seasons, based on the life of St. Thomas Moore. The humility, faithfulness, wisdom, and courage of St. Thomas Moore has always inspired me. The casting, screenplay, and cinematography are superb.
4) Favorite place (country, city, town, etc…) you have visited and why?
La Verna, Italy. It is nestled in a beautiful National Forest in Italy and it is the location of a Franciscan Monastery that houses the places where St. Francis would get away with his donkey to pray, including the place where St. Francis received his stigmata.
5) Last meal? You could have anything, what is it? Why? Please explain.
Guava pastry. I love the taste of guava and it is one of the many wonderful treats from my Cuban heritage. Why not end life with sweetness!
6) 3 activities or routines you would highly recommend? Please explain your reasoning for each.
1. Praying with Scripture every morning. It reminds us and reassures us of the love of God and we walk joyfully and confidently into our day ready to be a positive influence on others.
2. Hugging your spouse and family and saying “I love you” often. We all need love and we need to express our love to one another to keep our marriages and families healthy and strong. Don’t take each other for granted!
3. Meals with family and friends. I find that sharing meals with others breaks down barriers and builds love, understanding, trust, and intimacy.
7) A) Personality trait you highly value? Why? Please explain. B) The personality trait you highly dislike? Why? Please explain.
A. Faithfulness and perseverance. These are traits, virtues, that are necessary to achieve any worthwhile goal in life. They require self-sacrifice for the sake of a greater good or cause and demonstrate the beauty and strength of a person’s character and spirit.
B. Deceitfulness/Manipulation abuse human freedom and often destroy lives.
8) Favorite thinker (author, philosopher, theologian, etc…)? Why? Please explain. And what is your favorite piece of advice, quote, or text from them or in general? Why? Please explain.
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI: His writings reveal his love for Christ and he expresses the love and truth of Christ in a way that is easily understandable and inspirational for our time. My favorite quote from the Pope is: “The world offers you comfort but you were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness.” God made us for a good purpose and to achieve our God-given potential and purpose requires effort and self-sacrifice. Self-gratification never achieves anything worthwhile.
9) Biggest influence in your life or a top one, and what was it about them that really stood out?
The Madames of the Sacred Heart: These religious sisters formed me in my early youth and gave me a strong foundation for life: a solid education, intellectually and spiritually.
10) If there is one thing you could change in the world, what would it be?
Hopelessness. Many people are lost, looking for meaning in their lives, not knowing that God is real, that He loves them and has good plans for their lives if they only allow Him into their lives.
11) Where did your desire to help others and uplift humanity come from? Please explain.
It started at an early age, but my passion for helping others really was ignited when I was radically healed of my traumatic childhood exile experience through Spiritual Direction and healing prayer at the Cenacle School of Spiritual Direction in 2004. I want everyone to know the freedom and love of Christ that I experienced.
12) What are you working on now and how can people get involved?
We will be hosting a day event with Johnnette Benkovic Williams of EWTN and Women of Grace, on Saturday, October 3, 2020. The theme of the day is “Behold, I Make All Things New.” All are welcome to register through our website: divineprovidence.org. Come and let the Lord make you NEW.
Editor's note: You can follow Marian Servants of Divine Providence at the House of Prayer Clearwater on Facebook here facebook.com/MarianServantsDivineProvidence/.
Thank you so much for your time Alicia and for all that you do. The place we live in is that much better because of you. I hope that this feature has served to inspire you, as well as successfully celebrate those that help others and uplift humanity.
If you like, please subscribe below to the Tampa Bless blog and be on the lookout for the next featured member of Team Do Good as well as check out available tees and new colorways right here at tampabless.com/shop-1! Represent! Positive Forces In Your Neighborhood. Let's go! May God bless y'all and thank you for your support. Much love and appreciation.