Updated: Aug 8
It is with pride and joy I present to you the next member of Team Do Good, the mighty Eric Papp. This isn't the 1st time Eric has lent me a helping hand and I am absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity to celebrate him here via Tampa Bless and Team Do Good. His willingness to participate in this feature and to provide feedback is highly appreciated. And now, without further ado...
Name: Eric M. Papp
Place of birth: Conway, SC
Currently reside: Carrollwood, FL
Family: Wife and daughter
Alma Mater: University of Notre Dame
Occupation: Keynote Speaker/Management Trainer on Effectiveness
Activities you organized or participated in related to helping others and uplifting humanity? I realize this is an uncomfortable question to answer because it feels self-promotional, yet it's important to share so to inspire others:
Faith and Ale Tampa Bay and Tennis For Fun
The Tampa Bless 12
Let me preface this by saying that the term favorite or any superlative really is meant to be understood as a top choice because some people have multiple favorites.
1) Favorite pastime or hobby? Why? Please explain.
Practicing with the kettlebell. I came across the kettlebell a couple of years ago and have been loving it ever since. I have seen great progress in the areas of flexibility, strength, and endurance. 2) Favorite sport, team, or player? If not into sports, your favorite musician or album? Or answer one of each if you’d like or any combo. Please explain why for any one or more of the questions you answered.
Notre Dame Football. I’ve been a fan since I was in middle school and grew up Catholic. The movie Rudy also had a big influence. Player - Pat Tillman. He gave up a 5 million dollar contract to serve his country and made the ultimate sacrifice. 3) Favorite movie? Why? Please explain.
Not sure if I have a favorite but the movie 300 is up there. It demonstrates courage, perseverance against incredible odds, and a concentrated skill set. It also has great action and is based on a true story.
4) Favorite place (country, city, town, etc…) you have visited and why?
Any mountain with a great view. It gives me a great reminder of God’s beauty and peace. Also reminds me how insignificant we are in comparison.
5) Last meal? You could have anything, what is it? Why? Please explain.
Pizza. Plain cheese. Probably Eddy & Sam's. Simple and delicious.
6) Three activities or routines you would highly recommend? Please explain your reasoning for each.
1. Make prayer/reading the Gospels a habit. It keeps us honest and close to our creator. Very easy to kill off our God consciousness and live in self-deception.
2. Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. So many of our healthcare problems today come from the fact that we overeat and underexercise.
3. Write down your goals frequently and visualize them daily. If you don't consistently know/refine where you are going you won’t reach your desired result.
7) A) Personality trait you highly value? Why? Please explain. B) The personality trait you highly dislike? Why? Please explain.
A. Persistence: It reveals everything about a person. How persistent are we in our faith when God feels far away? How persistent are we at our job when we are not having success? How persistent are we in our relationships when times get challenging?
B. Arrogance: An arrogant person tends to be a poor listener and is usually annoying to be around.
8) Favorite thinker (author, philosopher, theologian, etc…)? Why? Please explain. And what is your favorite piece of advice, quote, or text from them or in general? Why? Please explain.
Jesus of Nazareth: No one person has ever had more influence on history than Him. 1. He was the only person pre-announced, His coming was expected.
2. When He arrived He split history into two periods: B.C. and A.D.
The more time you spend with Him, the more you become the best version of yourself. Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. It is so simple yet we complicate it. We fill our lives up with endless activities, look for new goals to accomplish, seek out different advice, and we then start to succumb to worry, fear, and anxiety. 9) Biggest influence in your life or a top one, and what was it about them that really stood out?
My wife Brieann: Her beauty inside and out. She is a speech pathologist and to be effective it requires patience, learning, and sacrifice.
10) If there is one thing you could change in the world, what would it be?
The softening of our hearts. When someone wrongs us, we start to trust less. When someone hurts us, it makes forgiveness difficult. When someone leaves us, we have a hard time loving others again.
11) Where did your desire to help others and uplift humanity come from? Please explain.
Faith and Family: I was fortunate to grow up in a loving household with two great parents that modeled self-giving love and they introduced me to Jesus.
12) What are you working on now and how can people get involved?
Creating training videos that help people be more effective while working from home. My YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/persistence24
Editor's note: Tampa's Faith & Ale meets from 6 - 8 pm on the 3rd Thursday of each month (September - May) at the Mary Martha Center on the Christ The King Catholic Church campus.
Thank you so much for your time Eric and for all that you do. The place we live in is that much better because of you. I hope that this feature has served to inspire you, as well as successfully celebrate those that help others and uplift humanity.
If you like, please subscribe below to the Tampa Bless blog and be on the lookout for the next featured member of Team Do Good as well as check out the Tampa Bless store for the latest offerings. Let's go! May God bless y'all and thank you for your support. Much love and appreciation.